25 September 2014

Das Flugzeug

11:45 a.m. - We finally left our apartment after packing and cleaning all night. Why did it take all night? It's not like we had to move any furniture, afterall. Well, because all we had eaten the day before were desserts. Ha! Let me explain: We needed to get rid of the rest of our ingredients before we left. And we had sugar! So we made chocolate chip cookies and apple pie (oh, and the rest of our box of DOZEN donuts from Talk Like A Pirate Day Krispy Kremes). Don't worry, we shared. But we were a little lethargic.



12:13 p.m. - We arrive at the airport. We unload the Nissan and proceed to bring all our luggage inside. Need I remind you that we had a lot? Then it was up to me to bring all that luggage to a check-in desk while Curtis ran over to return the rental car. I shed a tear for those comfy seats.

12:37 p.m. - Curtis returns from returning the car and I'm still in the same spot in line I was when he left. Since flying with babies is so uncommon, we were booted to "Special Services," again.

1:02 p.m. - Oh, Security. Is there anyone who loves it? This girl did. It must have been like a spa treatment to her or something because right in the middle of the whole process, she just lulled away . . . .


1:25 p.m. - Found our gate. We sat down. Then had to get up to let Sebastian watch planes take off. I'm not sure he understands what's really going on, but he sure loves planes.

2:00 p.m. - We get to board early, as compensation for waiting in line for "Special Services."


2:46 p.m. - Weren't we supposed to take off at 2:30? I guess air traffic is a real thing. But since planes can't just stop mid-air like cars stop on the highway, we had to park it for an extra 45 minutes before we could take off! Which was longer than the entire 37 minutes we were in the air.



3:55 p.m. - We land in Atlanta. The attendants came on over the PA system to remind everyone to stay seated unless they had a connecting flight that boarded within twenty minutes. So of course, everyone tried to get off the plane as soon as the fasten seat belt sign turned off. I think probably 5 other people waited to deplane. At least we had the train (since the Atlanta airport is GIANT) all to ourselves.

4:19 p.m. - Despite our hunger for something non-sugar, we decided against getting McDonald's in the airport. (Spoiler: We were fine). I ran to the bathroom while Curtis took Sebastian to look at more planes. When I came back, I couldn't find them. Was I even in the right place? Oh, what was that? Boarding already?? That was quick! We were expecting to board 30 minutes before takeoff, but I suppose international flights board one hour before. Who knew!

5:00 p.m. - We are off! Stuttgart bound! And we are already like twenty minutes into our movies.

OK, now don't get offended, but by this point, I lost all track of time. It was basically minute by minute for the rest of the nine-hour flight. We watched a few movies, ate a few snacks, and kicked a few people—erhm . . . one woman—a few times. Those minutes seemed to last the longest, especially when that woman shot me an icy look, as if I weren't acutely aware of what Sebastian was doing. I called the flight attendant, just to let her know how terrible I felt, and to let her know this woman had her seat reclined all the way back. He wouldn't be able to reach her if she had her seat up. "Well, I can't ask her to move her seat forward. Everyone has the right to recline their seat. Has she said anything to you?" Well, technically no, but if her looks could  speak . . . . "Well, I'm not going to draw attention to it, especially since we've had problems in that area recently. She knows she has a baby behind her." I just wanted to make you aware. I just feel really bad. "Don't. We were all that little once."

And she was right.

She was right that Sebastian's little. And she was right that I shouldn't feel bad. He was having just as hard a time as the lady in front of him, only he couldn't quite control his emotions in the same way. And I was doing the best that I could—including staying up with him until 11 p.m. our time (5 a.m. Stuttgart time) when all I wanted to do was sleep. And guess what? Just like all hard things, this flight came to an end. Now we're settled in a cute little apartment in a lovely neighborhood, just waiting to explore what's around us . . .



. . . as soon as we sleep off some of this jet lag.

1 comment:

  1. Even though we have no international travel plans, I sometimes think about how it would be to fly so far with Boo Boo in tow and all I can think is that it would be the WORST thing ever! So it's good to know that you all survived and it's true, everything ends, including unpleasant things.

    ReplyDelete